Search The Internet For The Answer...

Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Fire Department’s Internet Footprint


The first web page or site I build was on GeoCities in 1995 or 1996 and it was my very first Home Page. Thought it was pretty neat to do and it was a FREE service.

Soon after Yahoo bought GeosCities to become Yahoo GeoCities.

It was 1997, after transitioning out of the USAF Fire Protection , I settled down in a nice rural area of Up-State New York and after joining the local volunteer fire department I built my second web site/page for that would be my volunteer fire department’s internet footprint on the web using the Yahoo GeoCitie platform.

It really wasn't hard because Yahoo GeoCities provided you the online tools to give you the results of a simple web page. Keeping it simple is best and it gives you a pretty good product to say, HEY EVERYONE LOOK AT US!”

: )

Just like most people and actually everyone else does now a days, I do like to surf the internet for information. Especially for fire protection & fire prevention information that will make be a better fire fighter for my community.

I normally look at news sites and fire protection & fire prevention web sites mostly combing them online for fire news and/or fire related incident to tweet about on Twitter.

Oh by the way that I tell you. . . that you can follow me on Twitter @FiremanRich .

Some of the local web sites I look at on a weekly bases are linked on the sidebar of Tioga Fire Protection & Fire Prevention. It's amazing to see now that just about all the volunteer fire departments in my county have what I call an "Internet Foot Print."

Several years ago this wasn't the case. Why? Most likely either there was no knowledge to build one, to expensive to build one, or it wasn't worth the time & effort.

Well times are a changing as I talk about the “Internet Footprint” of fire departments in this YouTube video. . . which is another “Internet Footprint” you could say. . .


With new and different ways a fire department is only limited to their imagination on what type of web page/site is best for their department. With the emergence of fire protection blogs, which are on the rise, the “Internet Footprint” just gets better and better. Actually seems everyone is blogging these day. Guess there’s a lot to say out there and there’s a wealth of information.

As I said, one of my favorite fire blogs is The Fire Critic and it sets a good standard of how & what a fire blog should be about. I just think it’s a good example to follow as well as the other fire blogs that are listed in it’s links section.

Now there’s the pod casts from FirefighterNetCast that’s out there on blogtalkradio. “HOLY COW BATMAN! WE CAN HAVE OUR CAKE AND EAT IT TOO!” lol

I just think it’s great and a big thanks go out to the fire fighters that are providing us with addition knowledge in these pod casts that we probably won’t be able to get anywhere else. The knowledge one gains allows us to do it better in the fire station and on the fire ground.

As a fire fighter, I’m one that always says and will always believe you have to be brilliant in the basics to get the job done. The basic information that’s in these fire web site, blogs and pod casts can only help sharpen our basic fire fight skills of being more aware as well as efficient as a fire fighters.

Be safe and God Bless.

: )


(The usual disclaimers: I am not a journalist; this is a blog that expresses an outlook and is not conclusive in any shape or manner.)

Search The Internet