Search The Internet For The Answer...

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

The Twitter Thing

As mentioned in a previous blog entry of mine, I’ve ventured into doing The Twitter Thing now. Again I’m not sure how it happen? It just did. I guess I was curious about what Twitter was all about, that it made me take the step of setting up a Twitter account. Getting a Twitter account started is pretty easy to do too. If I can set up an account to tweet tweet on then anyone can. Working all the bells & whistles is another thing. lol All in good time.

I think being online and surfing the internet at home or work is a common place thing to do now. Hopefully not to much surfing the internet at work for those that do when there’s actual work to do? lol We are getting more and more information from the internet these days. Wow, I can still remember when there weren’t no computers in the home or very few at work and if you had a color TV with cable then you were the cool family in the neighborhood. A little age dating there but it’s true I think as well as the fact that computers and the internet are a part of what we do in our daily lives now. No turning back now. Even little towns and villages are getting Wi-Fi wireless internet access areas at the library. So when something new comes along to do on the internet, like Twitter the general reaction is one of curiosity.

I was surprise to fine out, and really I shouldn’t be, there are different fire departments and fire protection agencies that are doing The Twitter Thing. Now there’s a lot of news agencies that you can get the latest news from like ABC, CBS, NBC, CNN, MSNBC, and FoX. All are online now with Twitter also, as if their news web sites weren’t enough in providing news information. So to find out that the NFPA, USFA, National Fire, and yes there are a whole bunch of fire departments out there using Twitter made me think that this is not a passing fad. When looking at the “tweets” being made, there’s a lot of current, at the moment, moving updated information being posted through this new online platform. I’m seeing Twitter more and more as a “Good Communication Tool” to use the more I use it now.

So what actually is Twitter? If some are still not sure what Tweeter is, here's a real good YouTube that explains it all:



I do like the Twitter. Why? Like I said it’s a “Good Communication Tool.” Just read the New York Post: TWEET DEALS, USING TWITTER TO FIND A JOB which is a great article on how Twitter is a valuable networking tool. That is no game when something so simple a Twitter can get you back to being employed after getting caught in a “Resource Reduction” which is what their calling lay offs now. Twitter is some serious stuff! The New York Post article mentions Twitter “high roller,” Joel Comm who is the author of “Twitter Power.”

The Twitter Thing is endless when you really look at its overall potential for information and the knowledgeable people you can, in twitter terms, “Following.” Twitter is shaping our culture in my opinion and is here to stay. The Twitter Genie is out of the bottle so if your not into it, well, you have to put up with the folks that do. Tweet Tweet! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search The Internet