Search The Internet For The Answer...

Thursday, October 10, 2013

FIRE NEWS for October 10, 2013

Dedicated volunteer firefighter, 33, dies after medical emergency 

Published Wednesday, October 10, 2013

EATON, Ind. — Up until his last breath, friends say Mark Grove gave his all to the Eaton Volunteer Fire Department.

Grove, 33, died Tuesday, a week after he suffered a medical episode and was discovered “down and unresponsive,” according to Eaton police chief and firefighter Jonathon Snodgrass.

“The paramedics got there and they got him back on the way to the hospital,” Snodgrass said. “They just were unable to get him back all the way.”

According to his obituary, Grove served on the Eaton Fire Department for 13 years. Snodgrass said Grove would often show up to fire calls with his twin brother, Matt.

“Both boys have hearts of gold,” Snodgrass said. “It's a tragedy what's happened to him. That family is going through a lot.”

Snodgrass said Mark and Matt Grove “ate, drank and slept the fire department.”

“If there was something going on, they were there,” he said. “It didn’t matter what time of the day or night.”
Snodgrass said he expects Matt Grove to continue serving on the fire department in his brother’s honor.
Eaton Fire Chief Clay McDaniel said Grove’s communication skills, especially, were critical while battling a fire.

“You want something done? Him and his brother do it, no questions asked,” McDaniel recalled. “Mark was very, very important to our department.”

A message was posted on the Eaton Fire Department’s Facebook page Tuesday afternoon, shortly after Grove’s death.

“We will take it from here brother,” it reads. “We love you ... Continue (to) look over (your) brothers and sisters from the heavens. You will not be forgotten.”

“We’ll really, really miss him,” McDaniel said.

Full story: Dedicated volunteer firefighter, 33, dies after medical emergency

High-Angle Rescue Saves Spokane Worker in Auger

Surgeons on scene had to sedate the worker and remove part of his leg

Spokane, North Idaho News

Published Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Spokane Fire Department Press Release courtesy of

On October 4th, 2013 at 6:44 A.M. the Spokane Fire Department responded to a report of a worker from the Purina Mills Plant at 4714 E. Trent stuck in some machinery. Engine 8 from their station located at 1608 N. Rebecca was first on the scene and rapidly assessed the situation. They found an adult male patient that was pinned by one of the plant augers on the top of the roof, six stories high.

The patient had a serious leg injury so the crew placed a tourniquet to stop further hemorrhaging and continued with their life saving stabilization of the patient. Plans were immediately made to provide advanced life support care to the patient, the extrication of the patient from the machinery, the proper packaging of the patient and finally, the transport of the patient which included lowering the patient to the ground.

As the various plans were being put into place, a special request was made for a surgeon to respond to the scene. As a result of this request, three surgeons from Deaconess Hospital arrived on the scene and were involved with the extrication of the patient and patient care. They were supported by a nurse from Medstar and Fire Department paramedics. At this same time, blood from Valley Hospital was being rushed to the scene by a deputy from the Spokane County Sheriff's Office. While the machinery was confirmed to be locked out and isolated, extrication crews consisting of Rescue 9 and Ladder 1 continued to aggressively work providing patient care to stabilize the patient while the machinery was being dismantled to free him.

A contractor's crane was used to lift a basket to the level where the patient was. This same crane was responsible for lowering the patient to the ground. The Fire Department Technical Rescue Team from Station 4 worked hand in hand with the crane oper
ator and made sure of the patient's safety and transport back to the ground. The patient was flown to Sacred Heart Hospital by Medstar.

The cause of this incident is being investigated by the State of Washington Labor and Industries.

Fire rips through Miami strip mall; firefighter falls through roof

Published Wednesday, October 9, 2013

A fire ripped through a Miami shopping center early Thursday, gutting several stores and putting a scare into a firefighter.
The fire broke out after 1 a.m. at the center, on Flagler Street between 67th and 69th avenues and took about 90 minutes to extinguish.
Firefighters are still on the scene and investigators will look into the cause of the fire later Thursday morning.
An unstable roof affected the crew atop the building.
“The roof became unstable and one fire captain did fall halfway through the roof,” Miami Fire Rescue spokesman Ignatius Carroll told reporters. The captain’s equipment caught him from a full fall and greater injury, Carroll said.
No one else was injured at the strip center. A hardware store, restaurant, medical officer and underwear shop were damaged.     
Full story: Fire rips through Miami strip mall; firefighter falls through roof

Dashcam Video of car crashing into fire station

Published Wednesday, October 9, 2013

LENOIR, N.C. — Police released the dash cam video of the police pursuit in Lenoir that ended with a car crashing into a fire department Tuesday.

Channel 9 learned that the whole pursuit was less than a mile long lasted only 61 seconds. In the video, the convertible that police were chasing could only be seen for a few seconds as it sped off down Harper Avenue toward downtown Lenoir.

The car ended up crashing through the front bay door at the Lenoir Fire Department knocking a 30,000-pound fire truck several feet. “It looked like the movies,” said Shebala Norwood, who was in the area around the time of the crash.

Full story: Dashcam video released of chase that ended with car smashing into fire station

(The usual disclaimers: I am not a journalist; This is a blog that expresses an outlook and is not conclusive in any shape or manner.) 

Search The Internet