Search The Internet For The Answer...

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Overloaded Outlets Cause Fires

One of the leading causes of fire is misuse of electrical appliances.

Many people are under the impression that there is nothing wrong with plugging more than one appliance into a wall socket, using multiple plug adapters.

Electrical circuits in offices and at home are designed to carry a maximum load which is fire safe for the wire size. Fuses that blow and circuit breaker that shut off indicate an overload and perhaps too many appliances being used.

Overloading electrical circuits have resulted in grave consequences, causing fires that could have been prevented. However, preventing a potential fire hazards is as easy as pulling a plug.

Don't overload electrical circuits with "octopus" multiple plug adapters. These adapters can cause electrical wires to overheat, especially if several appliances are being run from the same plug simultaneously.

Replaced frayed, worn, defective or broken cords on electrical appliances and never use electrical equipment around water. Exposed wires can easily set fire to anything flammable that they contact. Or fatal current may leap through your own body, especially around water.

Disconnect electrical appliances which aren't being used, besides by doing so saves money. There is also no chance of an item overheating electrical wiring in the house if it's unplugged.

And always use appliances that carry the Underwriter Laboratory (UL) or equivalent label. These items have been tested and as long as they are maintained and used properly, pose less of a fire hazard

(The usual disclaimers: I am not a journalist; This is a blog that expresses an outlook and is not conclusive in any shape or manner.)

Search The Internet