Search The Internet For The Answer...

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Train With Open Eyes. . .

This month has been a great month for training for me. We all have our required training to keep up-to-date each month, quarterly, and yearly. Had my yearly OSHA training at the local fire station and as many times that I’ve had this type training I never take it for granted that it’s a waste of time. OSHA training is especially important because the whole reason for it is to keep each one of us safe that work in emergency services.

My Dad, who was a Volunteer Fireman from way back, once told me there are no un-important jobs, just jobs that need to get done. I apply the saying to the fire training I received where even if I do know the particular subject I’m going to listen and absorb it because the instructor has taken the time to prepare to teach something of importance. Such was the case with the OSHA training, I walked at the end of the training have current update information to keep me safe.

Seems also, I’m always following up on that OSHA training by checking and viewing the information that’s available online. I found for starters the OSHA 10-Hour General Industry Outreach-Trainer Presentations just for starters. Basic simple information to keep you safe and to go home at the end of the day.

The best training I had for the month though, plus really fun doing, was doing drivers/training with the Oshkosh Striker 1500 Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) vehicle. Three targets were setup at different location and different angle approaches on the flight line that you had to drive to. Once driving to and reaching/approaching near the target you had to position the turret, engage pump, press the trigger on joystick to discharge water, and move your turret to discharging upwards to 750 gpm of water you take aim and hit the target. Now I did tell you that your doing all this while driving the ARFF vehicle to each target area and when doing so trying to conserve water in the process. Almost sounds like your playing a video game. lol

It’s more than that though, to where your learning to be in control as well as being one with a very big fire fighting apparatus that can quickly put a lot of water on a lot of fire if needed. Your doing the training safely and having fun doing so. Most important though is your getting & having confidence in yourself and the equipment to be able to get the job done when called upon.

One of the items that are on an Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting (ARFF) vehicles that are at large frame aircraft airports/airfields is a “Snozzle.” What’s a “Snozzle?” Well, here’s a very good YouTube video showing you a a “Snozzle” on a Oshkosh Striker 3000 ARFF vehicle . . .




Now that looks like a some fun training with a “Snozzle” and really shows the technical advances in Crash Rescue/Aircraft Rescue Fire Fighting to date.

Have fun training, learn from the book training, do the hands-on training, and apply the training when needed to get the job done. Be open minded to new training ideas and information. But, the most important item above all is be safe. Scene safety from the get-go lets us get the job done and we all go home afterwards.


(The usual disclaimers: I am not a journalist; this is a blog that expresses an outlook and is not conclusive in any shape or manner.)

Search The Internet