Search The Internet For The Answer...

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My First Fire Reporting Blog Post!


The missus, that would be the wife, is always getting on me for not throwing out stuff of old that I have and collected over the years. Guess that would make me the typical other half. I wanted to say “better” but I better call it like it is. lol : )

Today is sort of a fire protection anniversary or sorts for me. Nine years ago today the so called “Big One” happen and I was part of the fire ground operations for it. I wrote about it afterwards and posted it on a Yahoo home web page I had at the time. I even had pictures to accompany the article. Was a “look at me, look at me, and see what I did!” lol Didn’t think about it at the time and only recently did I realize it was for the most part my very first blog post even though I didn’t have a blog. I found a copy of what I wrote, it’s titled “My Summer 2000 Most Memorable Moment…,” and figure it would be a good addition to my on go Tioga Fire Protection and Fire Prevention blog.

So here it is…


My Summer 2000 Most Memorable Moment...

We got the call early Saturday morning, 1 July 2000 at 0210 hrs.. Our response was called out as a mutual-aid call to Owego, for a fire in a third floor apartment located in a section of buildings in Owego's Historical River Row. We were asked to dispatch one pumper w/full crew (4 member fire fighters) to the scene, where we were put right to work.

Fire ground operations were in an "Offensive Mode" upon arrival. I and another fellow member fire fighter went and assisted two Owego fire department (OFD) fire fighters. We were packed out w/SCBAs, and all went up OFD's aerial ladder. I advanced a hand line up the aerial and assisted in venting roof. Other fire department crews, packed out w/SCBAs, including two of my fellow member fire fighters were inside combating fire on third floor with hand lines.

Picture of me advancing a 1 3/4" hand line to roof area to cover and assist in ventilation operation being conducted.

About 20-30 minutes after getting on the roof we had a 4'x4' hole in the roof venting while other fire fighting crews were combating fire that was now extending into several drop ceilings on third floor. I and other fire fighters on the roof started to notice the roof getting spongy and informed fire command of situation and that we were coming back down off of roof. Halfway down the ladder we heard the sounding of all sirens & air horns to pull all fire fighter crews out of building.

Command made the call to sound the alarm to get all fire fighters out of building. Five minutes after all crews were out of building and off roof the fire punched through the roof and then the third floor became part of second floor when 3rd floor collapsed.

One of my fellow member fire fighters that was on the third floor combating the fire with other responding fire crews told me later at "Rehab", fire fighting crews inside the building saw that the fire was getting out of control once it got up into the false ceiling, and the fire started to run the length of this section of build. Thus the reason for the spongy roof we felt up on the roof.


In this picture I'm observing fire fighting operation after coming down off the roof with a fellow member fire fighter wearing red helmet. I'm the one still wearing the Scott Air Pac, and after coming off the roof fire command made the call to go to a "Defensive Mode." The right call at the right moment.

Fire operations were now in a "Defensive Mode" and the game plan was to keep fire contain to this building with a now collapsed 3rd floor in a building section of a row of 2-4 interconnected buildings. The fire fighting operation now included two aerial ladder companies, a bucket aerial all in master stream operations in front of building. "Surround & Drown" you could say. In the back of these row of buildings is the Susquehanna river which drafting operation were taking place up the road to provide water to help out with hydrants that were tapped into in the area at this point. There were around 10+ fire departments on scene with a total of 150-175 fire fighters from Tioga & Broom Counties. This fire was what you could use the term "The Big One" too. Biggest structural operation I've ever been involve in.

My fire department crew and I were out for about 8+ hours for this fire after getting relieved by another fire department. Nobody was hurt at all, both fire fighter and persons living in 2nd & 3rd floor apartments, which made for a successful fire ground operation when you consider all that was involved.


... So there it is, my first blog posting some nine years ago and with pictures too! I remember this fire each year about this time as yes being “The Big One,” but what strikes me most is that no injuries occurred during the length of the fire ground operations. Safety, fire fighters looking out for other fire fighter and being able to walk away knowing we all did the best we could. Like I said at the end of the article, “…a successful fire ground operation…”. Yes there was structural loss and damage, but there wasn’t any life loss! Even better yet no fire fighter injuries! I’ll take one of those fire fighting operations any day of the week.




(The usual disclaimers: I am not a journalist; This is a blog that expresses an outlook and is not conclusive in any shape or manner.)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Search The Internet